Friday, March 23, 2012

Home by the River

People who live by rivers dream they are immortal. 
--Audre Lorde (courtesy of Thelma)

After 2 weeks of training, we are at home in Nauvoo, Illinois.  Coming from wintry mountains to a river and spring weather is almost like going to a foreign country. 



We have photos of our missionary kids at this world map at the Missionary Training Center pointing to their destinations.  Here's one of us.

We are in a very beautiful spot and we like our home.  It is about 100 feet from the river.  We watch barges go by often.  They carry as much cargo as 780 semi-trucks or 3 miles of railroad cars. 

Our home.  We have daffodils and tulips.  Lots of windows to see the river.  (And a big tree to block it)


This is a photo of a barge going by--taken from our porch.  Notice the goose.


This was taken from our porch of Mark in his suit which he wears much of the time now.
Mark in our living room.


This was taken from the road in front of our home.

We  see and hear lots of geese. 
We finished our training on Tuesday and began working in the historic sites on Wednesday.  So far we have worked in Carthage at the jail where the Prophet Joseph Smith and his brother, Hyrum were martyred.


This is the group that came with us.  All of the men are teamsters.  There were 34 of us in the group.  Our mission president and his wife, the Gillilands, are front and center, standing--both in dark  jackets.  Taken in front of the Carthage jail.
 I have worked in John Taylor's home and Mark has driven the team.  He loves the horses.  They have 17 of them and they all have their own harnesses.  They are going to buy 3 more horses so they will be working with 20 horses.

We arrived here on Saturday the 17th which is the day that Relief Society was organized here in Nauvoo at the Red Brick store--170 years ago on March 17, 1842.  I was able to attend a nice reenactment of that occasion on Saturday night.


This was taken from our porch at Sunset after the Relief Society Enactment.  Pioneer dresses are so flattering.

We have been busy singing --practicing for the "Rendezvous in Old Nauvoo" show that we will all be participating in very soon.  It runs all year, every night but Sunday.  "Sunset by the Mississippi" is another show we will participate in from May through August. 

Thank you, Thelma and Adam for designing this blog for us.





9 comments:

  1. This all makes me unreasonably happy. Thanks so much for posting all the pictures. It makes me very excited to visit you. I think the pioneer dress is very chic. You may decide that's all you want to wear from now on. I LOVE YOU BOTH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you are in a great place and we sure wish you well. Thanks for the photos and it's great to know that some things remain the same, we picked you out of the crowd with out squinting at the picture, I think your hat gave you away!!!! Best wishes, Dave&Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I checked to see if the Las Cruces bit had sold...it had...but found your mission blog. Looks like a nice place...to go goose hunting. Take some good pictures of the teams and wagons. Please put me down for a spade bit in 2013. We leave for Russia in a week or so.
    klanofknights@hotmail.com

    Jeff and Sariah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen Shumann WrightMarch 25, 2012 at 12:05 AM

    I got in through the email - The geese are beautiful, but they are horrid pests there! I never saw so much goose poop in all my life! Thank you Thelma and Adam for setting up the blog also! I am a childhood friend of Mark's and Coralee's. .... Well, I'm still a friend!

    That's quite the view! We drove along that road a few years ago.

    Blessings on you M & C as you serve.

    Karen Schumann Wright

    ReplyDelete
  5. We LOVE your pics and news! So happy you could have this experience and I must admit.....a little envious!! I would LOVE to be missionaries there!! Your house is cool and I think both you and Mark look just fine in your suit (Mark) and your pioneer dress (Coralee)! Enjoy every second!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It all looks very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm as green with envy as I can be. 34 teamsters in the picture and not one of them is me!
    Years ago Trudy and I and our kids at the time went to Iowa to pick up our new horse trailer and we stayed overnight in Nauvoo. The catfish in the little cafe by the river is top notch! The photo of the river barge looked just like the river appeared while we were there. I'd love to go there and be a blacksmith or a teamster. Yous guys have a great time and keep the photos coming!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to see your Blog ! Looks and sounds like a GREAT adventure ! Can't wait to see more photos of the area and of the horses. Enjoy and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coralee,
    Love the blogspot! Saw your mother today, she was at the temple for Warren's son's wedding! Recognized me right off, very amazing since we were in a different place, with lots of people around us. I'm amazed and I want to be that aware when I'm her age!

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete